- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 1/3 cups oatmeal
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 cups very thinly sliced apples
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon mace
- 2/3 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- powdered sugar for topping
- Sift flour, soda, salt and spices into a bowl.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the powdered sugar and apples.
- Knead well with hands.
- Pat 1/2 of the dough firmly into a greased 9x9x2 pan.
- Arrange apples evenly on top.
- Roll remaining dough between two sheets of waxed paper into a 9″ square.
- Press firmly onto apples, piecing as needed to cover the apples.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 30 minutes until cookie top begins to pull from the sides of the pan.
- Cool until warm to the touch, then press top cookie layer into apples.
- Dust top lightly with powdered sugar.
- Cool to room temperature and cut into squares.
Shop & Support
Support Local Businesses & Artisans