- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 3 cups flour
- candied cherries
- Cream shortening with the brown sugar.
- Add salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves until light and fluffy. Add egg and molasses and blend.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add to sugar mixture and stir until well blended.
- Cover and chill. Roll out 1/4 of the dough at a time onto lightly floured board to 1/4” thickness.
- Cut with gingerbread man cutter or desired shape.
- Carefully transfer to greased cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Before baking, press raisins into dough for eyes, nose and buttons. Used slivers of candied cherries for mouth, other candies for belt, shoes, etc.
- Bake at 375° for 8 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- When cool, decorate cookies with confectioners’ sugar frosting for hair and clothes.
- Makes about 5 1/2 dozen cookies.